Friday, March 11, 2011

spring training

I went to Spring Training with my dad and brother this week to watch a little baseball in the warm Arizona sunshine.  At one of the games I sat next to a Dodger fan (I've been a life-long Willie Mays/Giants fan...not exactly the coziest of seatmates).  Well, he turned out to be an interesting guy.  He played college ball and then made it all the way to the Triple A level.  He had a real respect for the men playing the game that day because, as a former minor leaguer himself, he said that there are days that you just don't feel like playing the game.  These guys, he said, paid the price and made it.  They persevered.

Is there any "field" in life where perseverance isn't important?  It sure is for anyone following Jesus Christ.  I've been surprised at how many times I felt like packing it in and then, maybe a day or week later, something great happened because I kept the faith.  I kept going.  Nothing fancy or very inspiritional...just one foot in front of the other.  Like Paul said, "suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character hope."  I like character and hope a lot.  But they don't come without persevering through hard times.  Keep going, friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment